[linux-audio-user] Re: So what's your laptop sound like ?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: So what's your laptop sound like ?
From: iriXx (miriam_AT_irixx.org)
Date: Mon Aug 26 2002 - 13:53:01 EEST

hi Dave,

> Greetings:
>
> I'm putting the finishing touches on an article about setting up sound
> on my laptop, and it occurred to me that there may be some common models
> that are advisable to new users who particularly want to get decent
> audio from their laptop machines. If any of you have the time to
> respond, I'm curious about the following information:
>
> 1) What laptop do you use (if any, of course) ?

ibm thinkpad 600E

> 2) What audio chipset does it have inside ?

cirrus semiconductors (uses snd-cs4236 module)

> 3) What sound driver(s) do you use ?

ALSA snd-cs4236

> 4) Are you using any of the following:
> (A) serial port MIDI interface
> (B) USB audio equipment
> (C) PCMCIA audio card

USB midisport

> 5) Was your experience setting up sound on your laptop:
> (A) Dismal - too much trouble for too little reward
> (B) Dedicated - took a little work but you're happy now
> (C) Delightful - installation & configuration was an easy breeze

(A) Dismal - i still can't get it to work! have read some promising articles
on line and asked here but still no luck, am going to keep persevering...

> 6) How do you use your laptop audio system, i.e., listening to XMMS,
> composing with realtime output from Pd or Csound, soundfile editing with
> Audacity or Snd, etc. ?

well i *would* be using it for all the above ;-)... particularly
electroacoustic music composition, mainly i use Ceres and Mammut....
generally not realtime output stuff with Pd / Csound though... i find it a
little too counter-intuitive for the way i work...

> 6) Anything else ?
>
> Please feel free to comment as needed, e.g. "Output is good at 16-bits
> but mic/line-in are hardwired to 8-bits", "Internal speakers are weak
> but headphones/line-out sound good", and so forth. TIA !

yup, internal speakers are weak (yeah, i had to install windoze so i can do
sound work at the moment :(... )

otherwise, the TP 600E is a lovely machine... im really happy with it for
everything else i use it for (mostly writing my book, so thats working just
fine ;-)...

best,
miriam

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom? info_AT_copyleftmedia.org.uk www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

_ ( ) ascii ribbon against html email X / \ cat /dev/sda1 > /dev/dsp

all your base are belong to us