Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA with midisports ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA with midisports ?
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 00:54:12 EEST

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Joseph Zitt wrote:

>> /sbin/modprobe ezusb2131 vendor_id=0x763 product_id=0x1001
> Would this also work for the Midiman Oxygen 8 (which I understand uses
> the same MIDI interface)? Is there a table of these vendor and product
> IDs somewhere?

That depends on whether Oxygen8 is implemented using the ezusb chip. My
guess is that it is not.

The current ALSA/kernel USB-audio driver can handle all audio
and MIDI devices, which use the standard (as defined by USB specs)
audio/MIDI interface class.

The midisport 1x1 and 2x2 models don't actually follow the standard, but
luckily someone (well, Lars Doelle and Nagano Daisuke, big thanks to
them!) have written an alternative firmware for the midisports. So what
happens is:

- connect midisport to your PC
- use the ezusb driver to replace the midisport's original
  software with a custom firmware
- once the new firmware starts running, midisport will
  work like a standard USB-midi device and can be
  used with the usb-midi kernel driver like any other
  standard-compliant device

... this only works for devices that are firmware-level compatible with
midisport 1x1 and 2x2. This trick doesn't work for instance for the 4x4
and 8x8 models, so I suspect Oxygen8 won't work either.

Anyways, the easiest thing to do is to get a MIDI-USB device that
actually follows the USB standard. Here's one good page, although a bit
old (nowadays standard USB-MIDI is already included in standard kernel and
ALSA):

http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Breeze/softwares/unix/usbmidi-e.html

--
 http://www.eca.cx