Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA with midisports ? _YES, here's how

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA with midisports ? _YES, here's how
From: Juan Reyes (juanig_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 15:39:46 EEST

Frank, Kai, Joseph, Fernando,

Thank you for your responses. As Fernando pointed out, we tried all of
these solutions and they seem to work up to the point where the firmware
is loaded to the midisport. As soon as the midisport is recognized as a
USB device /etc/hotplug/usb.agent disconnects it because it doesn't find a
module suitabale for this device (look at the following third line):

<localhost> tail -f /var/log/messagges
Sep 1 10:30:49 localhost kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/1,
assigned device number 9
Sep 1 10:30:49 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device 9 (vend/prod
0x763/0x1001) is not claimed by any active driver.
Sep 1 10:30:53 localhost /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... no modules for USB
product 763/1001/1

The problem might be that the usb-midi module is never triggered. It seems
to be loaded OK by alsa but even so, usb is not able to see snd-usb-midi.
In the case of the Quattro things are different, it rather recognizes it
right away (no midi though). Therefore, I am tempted to say that usb-audio
works almost out of the box while usb-midi doesn't. We are not sure
whether this issue is hardware related, usb related, alsa related or
driver related.

thanks again,

-- Juan

This is our configuration:

We are using ALSA 0.9.0-36 and kernel 2.4.19-1.11 on RH-7.3

modules.conf is:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias eth0 tulip

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-midi
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
# card #2
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss

# --- ALSA Options
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=2 snd_device_mode=0666
snd_device_gid=0 snd_device_uid=0
alias sound-slot-3 audio
alias sound-slot-4 midi
options snd-usb-audio snd_index=0 snd_id="Q4"
options snd-usb-midi snd_index=1
# --- Keep modules from being autocleaned
add options -k snd-card-0
add options -k snd-card-1