[linux-audio-user] A Newbie's New System?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] A Newbie's New System?
From: Scott Downie (sdownie_AT_sunflower.com)
Date: Sun Sep 15 2002 - 03:17:24 EEST

Patrick wrote:

> Many people use amd to great effect.

AMD would be fine with me. But I read somewhere that some folks seemed
to be having audio problems on Linux systems that were running AMD.
Some of the ASUS motherboards had problems, perhaps? I don't remember.
I just want to make sure that the motherboard works with the soundcard
and the networking card and the video card and all the other little
cards we crave.

> The hammerfall dsp retails for around 6-800 us$

I don't need every single bell and whistle. It looks like the
Hammerfall DIGI9636 would work for me. Since it retails for $565, it
must be available elsewhere at a lower price. Right? Or maybe the
M-Audio route is the most cost effective?

> Unless you don't mind debugging, a USB card may not be what you are
looking for for a few more months yet.

I don't necessarily mind debugging, but I don't want that to be a huge
timesink. It doesn't sound like Linux is quite ready for USB audio.
Since USB is not a deal breaker for me, I can live with non-USB
options.

> How many channels do you need?

Four would be nice. I'm easy!

Thanks!