Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: strange problems with snd

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: strange problems with snd
From: Nathaniel Virgo (nev_AT_ziggy.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Sep 15 2002 - 22:21:11 EEST

On Saturday 14 September 2002 2:25 am, Paul wrote:
> Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net>, on Fri Sep 13, 2002 [02:21:48 PM] said:
> > Hi, Nathaniel:
> >
> > Your system's Motif may in fact be LessTif. I've been having troubles
> > with that build lately, though Marco Trevisani has built and used it
> > (under Debian IIRC). I recommend the OpenMotif group's version instead
> > of Lessif.
>
> Hi;
>
> I had problem which sounds exactly like this-- little
> dotted rectangles instead of characters-- in a few different
> applications in certain places-- mostly gtk+ things-- it was rare
> but puzzling. Eventually, I solved it by running the font server
> xfs for all my fonts.

Yes, that sounds like the same sort of problem. I get them instead of all
the characters in all the menus and buttons. Could you explain exactly what
you mean by running xfs for all your fonts? I had a look at the xfs
documentation and config file and as far as I can tell it is already running
and knows where all my fonts are.

> In my case, I blame the xserver; I run a 3.3.6 server
> with a 4.2.x environment (ie. everything is xfree 4.2.x except
> the server.)

I think everything is 4.1.0 on mine.

> > I think your second problem is due to an out-of-date Guile. Version
> > 1.6.0 is now available (check Google for Guile) but I haven't heard yet
> > from anyone build Snd with it. I use version 1.5.6, I think that's now
> > available on the CCRMA ftp server.
>
> There is a work around provided... load this before you
> load the extentions:
>
> (load-from-path "fix-optargs.scm") ; this is needed for guile < 1.5
>
> This is working for me with guile 1.4, snd-6 and your
> contrib stuff...

That seems to be working fine - thank you.

-Nathaniel.