Re: [linux-audio-user] A Newbie's New System?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A Newbie's New System?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 17:30:59 EEST

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 06:37:36 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> In my normal (non-Ardour so far!) setup, I use PTLE as a sync master on
> one PC sending sync to the RME via ADAT on a second PC. It works
> wonderfully. I don't think I've ever heard a click, so I don't think it's
> fundamentally impossible to sync over ADAT, although that doesn't mean it
> works under Linux yet.

There are no specific problems with sync under Linux, I've heard people
complaining about ADAT/spdif sync at the hardware level. It could easily
be a myth, but I thought I'd better mention it.

Its possible that if you have bigish SPDIF chains there is a bit of lag in
the sync from begining to end. SPDIF/ADAT sync runs as broken segments
linking ports, whereas word clock is a continuous network. Sadly I dont
have enough kit to know ;)

I slave my desk/cards/outboard gear with spdif+adat in varius ways under
linux without problems. the hammerfall is easy to configure, its just an
alsactl parameter, I can't remeber what its called, but its pretty
obvious.

For a while I had my desk and hammerfall both set to auto negotiate, it
too me ages to notice that I was getting 44.1 or 48, randomly, depending
on which won ;)

- Steve