Re: [linux-audio-user] Free Music licenses: which to choose?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Free Music licenses: which to choose?
From: Christian Schoenebeck (christian.schoenebeck_AT_epost.de)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 12:43:52 EEST

Es geschah am Samstag, 28. September 2002 02:01 als Graham Percival schrieb:

> I'd like to allow people to copy, modify, and distribute my
> music, provided that they allow other people to do the same to their
> material. I definately want the "viral" nature of GPL -- if I release
> (sheet) music as public domain or a BSD-like license, then a company
> could (theoretically) hire some musicians to record it, make a CD, and
> then sue anybody who distributes that over the 'net (a la RIAA). I'm
> certainly not opposed to commercial use of my music, but I want to get
> royalties when that happens.

What about this license:

        You can use, copy and (re)distribute my work as long as you do not make money
        out of it. The latter is only permitted by my prior written authorization.
        Contact me on any ambiguities regarding this license.

:)

I don't see the need for hundred of sides full license agreements. Leave that
for boring lawyers without hobbies. It hink the above should catch all
important cases.

Regards,
Christian