Re: [linux-audio-user] amplifiers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] amplifiers
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 14:24:28 EEST

Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:

> <imho>
> i beg to strongly differ.
> the bose sat/sub combinations i heard were gruesome. they sound nice,
> but they cheat. good if you want inobtrusive background music (and they
> are very small, too). but for *listening*, they don't cut it. those
> small sats don't go deep enough, meaning that the sub has to reach so
> high that it can be located. very bad for orchestral music, unless you
> enjoy the double basses siting under the sofa instead of to the right of
> the celli :)
>
> about 10% of the technical riders i get for pa jobs say it more
> beautifully than i could: "no behringer, no bose". which i read as
> "pretty much anything else" :)
> </imho>

So what is wrong with Behringer then? Do you think they cheat like Bose?
My little mixer is an excellent price performer and has no signal leak
at full volume. I also think it does a very good job of not coloring the
sound when the levels are set at zero.

I have to admit I haven't listened to a nicely setup Bose system for a
while. If what you say is true and not influenced by egotistical
sensitive muso types trying to justify their purchase of or dependency
on [insert other commercially acceptable brandname here] systems, then I
will look into other options. I will anyway but I just wanted to write
that line ;0

Have you ever had the opportunity to listen to a Bose system in a
correctly positioned environment?

Also you may have noticed that a large number of public venues like
bars, restaurants, cinemas, theaters, use Bose systems these days.
Listening to your creation on a multitude of speakers in different
environments definitely helps to gain an understanding of what parts are
working out and what needs tweaking. A Bose system is an effective way
to cover a lot of this ground because they are near universal.

IMO if I need to hear serious, bone crushing, head popping sub then it's
not going to make appartment living easy if I do it at home. I would
prefer to test it out in a club with a real performance system that I
can thrash. If I need to hear it through a proper studio system then I
pay for studio time.

But I don't make jazz or classical so don't spend as much time pondering
that type of soundscape.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem