[linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: Sage (sage_AT_carmen.keychainrecords.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 10:46:08 EEST

Hello, everyone,

I'm new to the list, and to linux audio in general. I tried Linux on my
desktop about a year ago, but found it so frustrating that I gave up after a
few weeks and reinstalled Windows. But now that Red Hat 8 is out, I'm
anxious to try again.

The only problem is, I don't know what kind of audio production applications
are able to provide me with the functionality that I've been enjoying in
Windows with Cubase SX. I have a small home studio with hardware that is
fully Linux compatible (bless you, M-Audio).

I know Ardour seems to be the best choice for multitrack recording, and I'm
sure it would suffice since my plugin needs are limited. Unfortunately, I
rely heavily on midi and synth plugins (in my current case, Cubase's VST
Instruments) to handle various keyboards. I don't do loops or anything
particularly complicated. I just have a simple midi controller that I use
to record keyboard tracks.

I'd like to hear some suggestions as to what software someone like me could
use to retain the same basic functionality when switching to Linux. Does
anybody have any suggestions?

If people are in general agreement as to what the "best" apps out there are,
it might be useful to have a webpage dedicated to recommendations from the
list, eh? Just a thought. :)

Thanks, everyone. I look forward to hearing your opinions!

Sage