Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: Emiliano Grilli (emillo_AT_libero.it)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 11:29:01 EEST

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 02:46:08 -0500
"Sage" <sage_AT_carmen.keychainrecords.com> wrote:

> The only problem is, I don't know what kind of audio production
> applications are able to provide me with the functionality that I've
> been enjoying in Windows with Cubase SX. I have a small home studio
> with hardware that is fully Linux compatible (bless you, M-Audio).

Unfortunately, there is no such app (at least no as mature as Cubase),but
there are many interesting apps which let you make music in a completely
different way (csound, pd, etc...) and there are also many softsynths
(SpyralSynth, Alsa modular, ...),soundfile editors (snd,audacity, ...),
trackers (soundtracker, cheese tracker, ...), notation packages (lilypond,
noteedit, MUP, ...), multitrack recorders (ecasound, ardour, ...) and so on.
Lately, with ALSA drivers and JACK connection kit, you can combine these apps
togheter in a very flexible way.

> I'd like to hear some suggestions as to what software someone like me
> could use to retain the same basic functionality when switching to
> Linux. Does anybody have any suggestions?

For MIDI recording and editing the program "jazz" is a good app, try
also the "Muse" sequencer and the "noteedit" notation program. For now don't
expect an app that can do good audio+MIDI in sync like Cubase or Logic do.
But be aware that the community is working fast and this goal would be achieved
in the near future (I heard of Ardour MIDI integration with midimountain).
You have to think also to the nature of free software as something that is
"here to stay", and so any little advance in audio-midi apps for linux is
forever yours.

Sure the best page is http://www.linuxsound.at/

> Thanks, everyone. I look forward to hearing your opinions!
>
> Sage

Welcome to the linux audio and MIDI world, and stay tuned to this list!