Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 14:47:44 EEST

Sage wrote:
>>For MIDI recording and editing the program "jazz" is a good app, try
>>also the "Muse" sequencer and the "noteedit" notation program. For now
>
> don't
>
>>expect an app that can do good audio+MIDI in sync like Cubase or Logic do.
>>But be aware that the community is working fast and this goal would be
>
> achieved
>
>>in the near future (I heard of Ardour MIDI integration with midimountain).
>

> I am not averse to using two separate apps for audio and midi. I'm already
> planning to use Ardour for audio. If it could do midi as well, that would
> be fabulous, but since mention of such features are scarce on the Ardour
> website, I don't expect much right now. Two separate apps would do me just
> fine, though.
>
> The real problem is the need to find good sounds to be powered by the midi,
> though. Softsynths, wavetable synths, samplers... right now I use several
> VST instruments: Model-E (a minimoog emulator), The Grand (a very realistic
> piano), B4 (emulates the Hammond B3 organ) and the Cheez Machine (emulates
> the Arp Solina). So I only use midi to emulate real instruments... and
> unless I go with iiwusynth and soundfonts (a perfectly useable, but sorely
> inferior solution, if you ask me), there's really no alternative.
>
> I am currently faced with having to decide whether to enjoy the benefits of
> open source software, or stick with the best tools for the job... I was
> hoping that someone on this list might be able to point me to solutions that
> help narrow the gap in ability, particularly in software synths.
>

>>>If people are in general agreement as to what the "best" apps out
>>>there are, it might be useful to have a webpage dedicated to
>>>recommendations from the list, eh? Just a thought. :)
>>
>>Sure the best page is http://www.linuxsound.at/

Also check out the LAU guide (see below) and quicktoots. There is a new
tutorial explaining how to do what you want with JACK, Ardour and MusE.

Personally I have been trying to get some of the news sites to report on
this tutorial. I believe it is a huge step and very important milestone
that has been reached. However they don't seem to want to report my
words. It would be great if a *few* other people made an attempt then we
might be able to catch their attentions.

I have tried linuxnews, slashdot, linuxtoday, and a few others. It would
also be great if someone who has contacts with the pro magazines would
let them know.

As it stands I'm going to keep trying but one voice is not so easily
heard in this big bad world.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem