Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: Sage (sage_AT_carmen.keychainrecords.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 19:29:54 EEST

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 05:07:01AM -0500, Sage wrote:
> > The real problem is the need to find good sounds to be powered by the
midi,
> > though. Softsynths, wavetable synths, samplers... right now I use
several
> > VST instruments: Model-E (a minimoog emulator), The Grand (a very
realistic
> > piano), B4 (emulates the Hammond B3 organ) and the Cheez Machine
(emulates
> > the Arp Solina). So I only use midi to emulate real instruments... and
> > unless I go with iiwusynth and soundfonts (a perfectly useable, but
sorely
> > inferior solution, if you ask me), there's really no alternative.
>
> There was talk a while back about a sampler-in-progress (EVO?)
> which would (does?) support Gigasampler files, so you could buy
> a Gigapiano disk and use it in linux. For the others, not sure.
> There are various interesting emulators if you dig around:
> e.g. there are some emulator patches for Pd, though I dont' recall
> which synths; and Bristol looks interesting, though
> I don't know if it supports jackd yet:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/bristol/?topic_id=249

Oooh, thanks for the Bristol link. That's a good half of what I need right
there. A good piano, drum module, and preferably arp solina (though I have
soundfonts that'll do for that) would be nice.

The previous links to the LAU guide and especially QuickToots were
informative as well - judging from the tutorial on wiring Ardour and Muse
together, I suspect that with a little work I could get the apps themselves
to do everything I need. The sounds are all that is left.

It looks like EVO was indeed the sampler project you were thinking of, but
the sourceforge page for the project is totally barren. Registered back in
2000 and no releases... A real shame, too.

I'm thinking it would really be nice if somebody programmed a wrapper (like
Cakewalk's DXi wrapper for VST instruments) that could run windows VST
instruments via WINE and translate the output to work with JACK. That would
certainly solve a lot (if not all) of my problems, and possibly many others'
as well. Think this is even possible?