Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 16:54:55 EEST

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 05:07:01AM -0500, Sage wrote:
> The real problem is the need to find good sounds to be powered by the midi,
> though. Softsynths, wavetable synths, samplers... right now I use several
> VST instruments: Model-E (a minimoog emulator), The Grand (a very realistic
> piano), B4 (emulates the Hammond B3 organ) and the Cheez Machine (emulates
> the Arp Solina). So I only use midi to emulate real instruments... and
> unless I go with iiwusynth and soundfonts (a perfectly useable, but sorely
> inferior solution, if you ask me), there's really no alternative.

There was talk a while back about a sampler-in-progress (EVO?)
which would (does?) support Gigasampler files, so you could buy
a Gigapiano disk and use it in linux. For the others, not sure.
There are various interesting emulators if you dig around:
e.g. there are some emulator patches for Pd, though I dont' recall
which synths; and Bristol looks interesting, though
I don't know if it supports jackd yet:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/bristol/?topic_id=249

--

Paul Winkler "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"