Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 20:17:33 EEST

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 11:29:54AM -0500, Sage wrote:
> The previous links to the LAU guide and especially QuickToots were
> informative as well - judging from the tutorial on wiring Ardour and Muse
> together, I suspect that with a little work I could get the apps themselves
> to do everything I need. The sounds are all that is left.

Well... there's getting everything to actually *work*. :)
ardour is still alpha and changing rapidly; you'll want to be on
ardour-users mailing list and probably have some hassle getting a setup
you can actually use for real work.

> I'm thinking it would really be nice if somebody programmed a wrapper (like
> Cakewalk's DXi wrapper for VST instruments) that could run windows VST
> instruments via WINE and translate the output to work with JACK. That would
> certainly solve a lot (if not all) of my problems, and possibly many others'
> as well. Think this is even possible?

i suspect realtime output from wine is likely to be unreliable. but
haven't tried it. maybe it could work with some honkin' big buffers.
anybody?

--

Paul Winkler "Welcome to Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"