Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: nick (nixx_AT_nixx.org.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 20:44:58 EEST

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 18:17, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Well... there's getting everything to actually *work*. :)
> ardour is still alpha and changing rapidly; you'll want to be on
> ardour-users mailing list and probably have some hassle getting a setup
> you can actually use for real work.

yeah, good luck getting jack to work! are there any useful docs for
getting it to work satisfactorily (ie *not* root *and* with realtime?)

> > I'm thinking it would really be nice if somebody programmed a wrapper (like
> > Cakewalk's DXi wrapper for VST instruments) that could run windows VST
> > instruments via WINE and translate the output to work with JACK. That would
> > certainly solve a lot (if not all) of my problems, and possibly many others'
> > as well. Think this is even possible?

ive been thinking about this a lot lately. need to check out the xine
and mplayer code, to see how to load dll's like that. even if it was, i
dont think it would be such a great idea. using jack instead of plugins
is bound to incur greater overhead (?). surely a ladspa - vst things
would be more suitable?