Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: Sage (sage_AT_carmen.keychainrecords.com)
Date: Wed Oct 09 2002 - 23:05:59 EEST

> > > I'm thinking it would really be nice if somebody programmed a wrapper
(like
> > > Cakewalk's DXi wrapper for VST instruments) that could run windows VST
> > > instruments via WINE and translate the output to work with JACK. That
would
> > > certainly solve a lot (if not all) of my problems, and possibly many
others'
> > > as well. Think this is even possible?
>
> ive been thinking about this a lot lately. need to check out the xine
> and mplayer code, to see how to load dll's like that.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about! :)

> even if it was, i
> dont think it would be such a great idea. using jack instead of plugins
> is bound to incur greater overhead (?). surely a ladspa - vst things
> would be more suitable?

Damned if I know. My knowledge of LADSPA and JACK are very limited - I'm
just playing the ideas man here, and a wrapper in which one can use his
Windows VST synths, be it done with JACK or LADSPA, seems to me an
incredibly useful idea.

It might not be the best or most efficient solution in the end, but it would
be a fantastic crossover solution. Those of us with expensive and well-made
VST synths (and no suitable Linux-based substitute) wouldn't have to give
them up.