Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: Darren Landrum (consul_AT_studioconsul.net)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 01:36:15 EEST

It seems to me another issue to keep in mind, is whether the softsynths can
produce output better than 16bit/44.1khz (or 48khz). That's one of the nice
things about all of the softsynths that Sage rattled off that work in Cubase
SX.

The last time I checked, SpiralSynthModular could not output any better than
16/44.1. I don't know if this is being worked on or not, or if I'm wrong
altogether. As for many of the others, including Bristol, I can't find any
reference to a final digital audio output spec on their respective websites.

As far as plugins go, LADSPA set its specs as 32bit float, with no
specification for sample rate, but I'm under the impression it can handle
96khz. So, if the host app handles audio in the same way (32bit float), then
you can process all of your audio that way, then dither it to whatever final
format the app can handle. (As an aside, an open source developer on the Mac
had claimed to write a dithering algorithm in BASIC that tests and works
better than Apogee. I will try to track this down again, and let everyone
know where it is, if they are interested.)

Although it can be argued that you don't need better than CD quality for your
sources (some awesome recordings were made on first rev ADATs), some of us
really like to push the envelope, and we also like the nice high quality we
get from dithering down from 24 bits. Kinda like resampling a large image in
GIMP or Photoshop to get a nice-quality lower-res one.

Just my two cents, and my first post to this list. :)

Regards,
Darren Landrum
"Consul"