Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Advice for new users?
From: torben hohn (torbenh_AT_gmx.de)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 12:53:24 EEST

On 10 Oct 2002 12:10:11 +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:

> > > Me! I like it. SpiralSynthModular is quite a bit faster, but I like the
> > > modular approach that gAlan uses for the GUI - assembling your own panel
> > > from component knobs and sliders.
> >
> > i just removed many unnecessary mallocs and the upcoming 0.3.0 will
> > be somewhat faster ... i should really install fltk and try SSM ...
>
> I like galan a lot too. I should really install one of the latest versions, I
> haven't tried it for a while.

how long ?
the current version is 0.2.11
in the cvs are many additional features...
and:
i have ported to gtk2 and threading last week and i am still sorting out
the problems
which occur when you port an app to threads without proper analysis :-)

when i have all problems i can see on my uni-processor removed
someone with SMP needs to point me at the race conditions.

this is not in cvs. (but i will fork of a branch soon)

> The only thing I didn't like was the seperate control and audio connection
> types - but that's one of the reasons I made SSM the way it is.

so you have only audio connections in SSM ?
how do your sequencers work then ?

i considered the the event type connections a good thing
but for LFO they are not so good of course
(there is the sig2evt component) but this does not perform so good
because audio processing is interrupted to process events.

i am also getting problems with the events because they can be emitted
from
the audio thread and it should not use malloc.
So i have to write my own mem management which gets its memory from
another
thread...

i you connect an LFO to a cutoff freq you recalculate filter
coefficients
for every sample ?

torbenh
http://galan.sourceforge.net