Re: [linux-audio-user] Easy question about a single app workstation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Easy question about a single app workstation
From: Anthony (avan_AT_uwm.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 22:40:33 EEST

* Taybin Rutkin <trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu> [Oct 11 02 11:10]:

> Also, in response to your question about why smaller buffers are better:
> Yes, a larger buffer reduces dropouts and can be really handy for
> recording live. But, the buffer introduces a delay. So if you were to
> record one track, and then try and play that track back while recording
> another track sync'd to it, a large buffer would make it really difficult.

I don't agree with this. The buffersize introduces delay, but
a completely predictable delay. Its only when you attempt to use S/W
monitoring that this causes a problem for the performer. With H/W
monitoring I very happily run at 2048*2.

--ant