[linux-audio-user] RE: [music-dsp] linux and midi

Subject: [linux-audio-user] RE: [music-dsp] linux and midi
From: Joachim Backhaus (jbackhaus_AT_pironet-ndh.com)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 12:05:57 EEST

> What about using midi-thru boxes? they don't add latency to
> the midi signal,
> they just 'amplify' and 'split'.

If you run 14 MIDI devices through one MIDI Port using
MIDI Thru Boxes you get a worse timing compared
to using a multiple Output Interfaces like
the Steinberg Midex 8 oder the Midiman Midisport 8x8.

But I don't know if there is a 8x8 Interface with Linux drivers.

All of them implement a feature to reduce latency and I think
that's a problem for the driver developers because the companies
don't want to show the specifications for that in public.

Regards,
Joachim

PS: I added the Linux-Audio-User group to the cc because this
is linux specific question.