Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcard spotting

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcard spotting
From: Andrew W. Schmeder (andy_AT_e-molecule.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 11:37:00 EEST

>> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Peter L Jones wrote:
>> I'm not a hardware expert so I can't answer to all these questions, but I
>> can tell about the criteria I used when I selected my last card. My
>> primary use is multitrack recording and mixing. I needed capability to
>> record >2 channels, high-quality a/d and good support for low-latency and
>> full-duplex. My choice was midiman delta44. It has 4 ins, an external
>> a/d&a/d box (important for high-quality conversion), good ALSA drivers and
>> wasn't too expensive (ie. a lot cheaper that the RME cards for instance).
>> So far I've been very satisfied with this purchace.

Midiman Delta44 does not have an external DAC. Trust me, I have one and I've
looked inside the breakout box. :) IIRC only the Delta1010 has external DAC.
S/N for the Delta44 is ~96dB, compare to >100dB for the Delta1010.

Overall I like the Envy24 stuff, but currently I think the alsa driver has
some stability issues with my kernel (maybe from too many patches or that
proprietary NVidia junk).

---
Andrew W. Schmeder
andy_AT_e-molecule.com