[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Free Publicity - DJCJ Linux Audio Developers Tech Support Database.

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Free Publicity - DJCJ Linux Audio Developers Tech Support Database.
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 18:00:00 EET

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 04:28:59 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the feedback.
>>

>>>Its quite hard to read becaues of the gifanims. the one in the top
>>
>>left >is hard to make out and the page it links to is very out of date.
>>
>>It's about due for a redo anyway. The info is still pretty vital. Notice
>>that there have been almost no questions about how fast Linux latency is
>>since it was put up.
>

> Thats true, but a text link would be easier to spot and less distracting.

But IMO more boring to look at from a newbie POV. I will give that gif a
make over this week. I'm getting tired of seeing it these days but the
info is still vital.

>>>The logos along the top are all in clashing styles and many of them are
>>>aliased.
>>
>>I cannot do much about the images provided by other sites.
>

> Well, generally they have large, high res ones that you could recomposit
> to suit the site. You could also put them out of the way somewhere.

The aim of the images at the top is to provide one click access to the
most popular sites for information about Linux audio. I really don't
want to move them. They could do with being slightly smaller perhaps.

>>>There are a few too may colours, and mixing red and blue is generally >bad
>>
>>As in the NZ, Australian, British, French and US flags?
>

> Yes, but I dont read flags ;)
>

>>>On my browser there is a mixture of 2 and 3 coloumn layouts which
>>
>>makes >it very wide and hard to follow.
>>
>>What is your browser? I have been trying to keep it working with
>>netscape 4.x, mozilla, IE, lynx.
>

> Mozilla. But my screen at home is only 1024 pixels wide.

Same here.

>>>Lots of the information on the frontpage should probably be on >subpages.
>>
>>The aim is to provide access to most of the info with one click and
>>without having to scroll.
>

> But that doesn't help if you cant find the right link, and all the
> important information is 4 pages down.

I don't follow this. What information is four pages down? Do you mean
the introduction for new users or are you talking about the links to the
various howtos?

> Can I suggest you break the site up into major sections, that way people
> can go to the right section for them.

I've been considering that for a while now. I'm trying to figure out a
nice design. Currently I have an image of a large asterix * with the
links in each slice.

> You could always open up to design suggestions from the lists, that way
> you get to choose from lots of desigs without having to make them all
> yourself ;)

That's true. It is becoming more of a community property these days.
Does anyone else have any suggestions. Keeping in mind that the site is
primarily for new users most of whom expect a graphically dense site at
least until they get into the Linux way.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem