Re: [linux-audio-user] new Debian user

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] new Debian user
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 17:22:52 EET

Hi,
Laura Conrad hat gesagt: // Laura Conrad wrote:

> I just fixed my Mandrake RPM problems by installing Debian (woody).

A cool solution.

> Right now, I don't have any sound apps working.
>
> What's the best way to go about it? I have an SB-Live soundcard, and
> need to be able to play MIDI files, and record sound. (Usually via
> timidity and ecasound, although I've used other apps as well.)
>
> Is compiling Alsa CVS the right thing to do, or is there something
> easy to do with apt-get that would get me going until I had something
> I really needed the Alsa CVS for?

I wouldn't (and haven't done so) install ALSA CVS. There are some
changes that might mean, that you couldn't install any official Debian
sound software packages. I like staying with the Debian packages of
ALSA. They are fine, and if something is wrong, you can file Debian
bug reports :) Unless you really *need* ALSA CVS, I'd stay with the
distribution's packages.

Debian already has many sound packages. Get familiar with "apt-cache"
and you will find a lot of packages, try for example
$ apt-cache search recorder
$ apt-cache search midi

If you want the latest and greatest, you will probalby need to run the
Debian "testing" or even "unstable" branch, like I do. You can also
find some nice source packages at agnula.org

ciao