Re: [linux-audio-user] Vsound is no more

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Vsound is no more
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 10:33:46 EET

Hi,
Erik de Castro Lopo hat gesagt: // Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> It is with regret that I have to inform you that I will not longer be
> maintaining Vsound.

This brings me to the question, if it wouldn't be possible to achieve
something similar to Vsound with the use of ALSA's plugin
architecture. Reding a bit through the asoundrc docs at
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html, I
found the plugin:

 File
 This plugin stores contents of a PCM stream to file.

 pcm.name {
        type file # File PCM
        slave STR # Slave name
        # or
        slave { # Slave definition
                pcm STR # Slave PCM name
                # or
                pcm { } # Slave PCM definition
        }
        file STR # Filename
        or
        file INT # File descriptor number
        [format STR] # File format (only "raw" at the moment)
 }

Now this obviously is intended to be used for capturing the sound of
an application to a file. Did anyone use this already? And would this
work for ALSA's OSS emulation, as well?

ciao