Re: [linux-audio-user] new Debian user

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] new Debian user
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 20:57:51 EET

Hi,
Laura Conrad hat gesagt: // Laura Conrad wrote:

> So I tried installing some of the driver packages. The ones that are
> build are for kernel 2.16, and i have 2.18, so I got the source, and
> am trying to compile them, but I can't figure out how to tell
> configure where the kernel source is. I've installed both
> kernel-source and kernel-headers for 2.18, and apt-get just dumps
> tarballs in /usr/src. When I unpack the tarballs there, configure is
> happy if i give it --with-kernel=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18/, but
> then make exits with:

Okay, you need the alsa-modules. Thes must match not only the kernel
version, but the actually compiled kernel, as well. So you could
either install a debian kernel-package and a debian alsa-modules
package, that match eech other.

Or you can compile your own kernel and your own modules. You should
not do this by hand, but instead "the debian way", and that is the
tool "make-kpkg" from the "kernel-package". Ifyou use this, compiling
a kernel an the alsa-modules is a breathe.

Just install kernel-package, alsa-source and have a kernel-source
handy. You need to unpack the archive "alsa-driver.tar.gz" in
/usr/src/ as well.

Read /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz or just look for the word
"impatient" there :)

You'll find this:

 For the Brave and the impatient:
Phase ONE: Getting and configuring the kernel
 1% cd <kernel source tree>
 2% make config # or make menuconfig or make xconfig and configure
Phase TWO: Create a portable kernel image .deb file
 3% make-kpkg clean
 4% $Get_Root make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
      (Get_Root is whatever you need to become root -- fakeroot or
      sudo are examples that come to mind).
Phase THREE: Install the kernel image on one or more machines
 5# dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb
 6# shutdown -r now # If and only if LILO worked or you have a means of
                    # booting the new kernel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

After the reboot (to be sure) you can build the alsa-modules with a
simple:
$ cd <kernel source tree>
$ make-kpkg modules_image
$ dpkg -i ../alsa-module-XXX.deb