Re: [linux-audio-user] Vsound is no more

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Vsound is no more
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 20:25:30 EET

there is now a very-low-bandwidth vsound mirror of miriam's page at

http://spunk.dnsalias.org/vsound

the server is located in essen, germany and thus within the realm of
german jurisdiction, where, to the best of my knowledge, circumvention
devices as defined by the dmca and similar laws are not illegal.

please don't hammer too much on the machine, it's a wee little p/233 on
a 768/128kbit/s dsl link. (yes, ~15k maximum dl rate.)

go spread the stuff over the net :)

regards,

jörn

wow civil disobedience feels cool. :-P

iriXx wrote:

> great! so far there are at least three mirrors then, as far as i know...
> peter clay and i believe julian midgely are the others...
> we've successfully established through debate on the campaign for
> digital rights mailing list that vsound is *not* a circumvention device
> under s296 of the UK copyright act... because it cannot be established
> that Real Audio streams are a form of 'copyright protection' - imho its
> a convenience measure for saving bandwidth... but ianal and ymmv (to
> cram as many acronyms into one sentence)....
> i hope this might bring some more hope for vsound development... but int
> the meantime we'll continue our mirrors....
>
> Joern - what is the current legal situation in Germany at the moment
> with regard to circumvention devices / copyright law?... i gather the
> German EUCD will be a lot more lenient than the UK version...

no such law. yet.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany