Re: [linux-audio-user] building the dream Linux music box

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] building the dream Linux music box
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 16:35:37 EET

Kristofer Bergstrom wrote:
> Hello everyone. I'm hoping to invest in a Linux-based (debian) system to do
> high-quality recording of live sources (mics, turntable mixer out, etc) and
> playback of multichannel (4 channel, maybe more someday) computer music. I
> have made music with CLM but am excited to try using Csound, as well as
> Ecasound and Ardour for recording and editing. I've been looking around and
> asking questions to vendors and have heard the following suggestion for
> hardware: a Hammerfall soundcard and an external ADI-8AE AD/DA converter.

Sounds like a good setup

> wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on such a setup. As far as I can
> tell, the ALSA drivers support this, although one vendor said that there are
> only drivers for the older Hammerfall card. Any thoughts on these things?

That vendor was ill informed. Probably because they don't follow Linux
but instead rely on RME to actually keep their website up to date.
Fools. They are missing out on potential customers.

> Thank you very much in advance!

You should also get a mixing desk. The euroracks line have very good
sound quality IMO but they don't use properly balanced inputs. You will
need to get at least one condenser mic as well. They are the best for
recording.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem