[linux-audio-user] building the dream Linux music box

Subject: [linux-audio-user] building the dream Linux music box
From: Kristofer Bergstrom (kristofer.bergstrom_AT_stanfordalumni.org)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 10:49:30 EET

  Hello everyone. I'm hoping to invest in a Linux-based (debian) system to do
high-quality recording of live sources (mics, turntable mixer out, etc) and
playback of multichannel (4 channel, maybe more someday) computer music. I
have made music with CLM but am excited to try using Csound, as well as
Ecasound and Ardour for recording and editing. I've been looking around and
asking questions to vendors and have heard the following suggestion for
hardware: a Hammerfall soundcard and an external ADI-8AE AD/DA converter. I
wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on such a setup. As far as I can
tell, the ALSA drivers support this, although one vendor said that there are
only drivers for the older Hammerfall card. Any thoughts on these things?
Thank you very much in advance!

  Kris Bergstrom