[linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Fri Nov 08 2002 - 11:05:39 EET

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I'm getting a lot of wierd sound quality bugs while using JACK. It seems
> like the driver is storing the crappyness somewhere and each time I
> access it the quality gets worse. Is it possible that the driver could
> allow the data to linger and make things unstable?
>
> I have been doing some testing today with various softsynths and my mem
> is getting pretty full. Turning off jack just freed up 10MB but still
> it's at
>
> Mem: 386484K total, 336212K used, 50272K free, 41304K buffers
>
> The machine has been up for 7 hours. Is that reasonable?

This is all done with tuned disks, lowlat and root access.

Yesterday I was having this problem. I also tested the sound quality of
native alsa vs jack by using two alsaplayers one connected to alsa and
one connected to jack.

While doing that I found that the output quality was exactly the same so
I assumed that it was the alsadriver that was at fault. However After
letting the machine and device cooldown while I slept and testing with
native alsa today the sound quality is crystal clear. When I test
through jack the quality is degraded. I assume that it is the demands
that jack places on the system that is causing the quality to degrade.

I have just gone down from 9 -> 6 screens in my virtual desktop and that
seems to have gone a long way towards cleaning the sound. Any ideas on
how I can tune x to give me those screens back? I currently use a
geforce2 with nvidia drivers. I'm holding out on getting a new video
card until the price of the new ATI has dropped.

Does anyone know how the support for that card is going?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman