Re: [linux-audio-user] Speaker placement.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Speaker placement.
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 10 2002 - 00:02:49 EET

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 06:30:26 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I have the opportunity to help fit out a bar.
>
> I thought people round here might be able to provide some pearls of
> wisdom regarding speaker placement.
> Does anyone have concrete suggestions (mathematically proven) for
> speaker placement so that we get the best soundscape environment?

I tried to work out what I should do to make my current studio
acoustically neutral. First I read some acoustics textbooks, then I used
some modelling software, then I gave up and just moved stuff around until
it sounded OK ;)

Seriously, especially in a bar you just have to try it and see. The number
of people in it will make a huge difference. IANAAE*, but I think the
meat will counter out the problems from the hard floor. Ever done a
soundcheck in an empty nightclub, they sound terrible.

- Steve

* I Am Not An Acoustics Engineer