Re: [linux-audio-user] linux audio on Gentoo

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] linux audio on Gentoo
From: Gerasimos Grammatikopoulos (dragoon_AT_interfree.it)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 21:01:18 EET

On Sunday 17 November 2002 20:55, Jason Thompson wrote:
> There was a recent discussion here about people using Debian. Frustrated
> with RedHat, I almost went with Debian, but Gentoo caught my eye. So far
> I'm really happy with it, though I'm having some difficulties getting
> Ardour set up. The great thing about Gentoo is that you compile and
> optimize the entire distro on your computer. The performance boost
> between Redhat 8.0 (my old distro) and Gentoo is easily noticeable. Plus
> their optimized kernel includes the low-latency patches.
>
> Are there any other Gentoo users out there? If so, I'd be interested in
> setting up a Gentoo-specific audio listserv to avoid flooding this list
> with distro-specific issues. Anyone else interested? (Of course I'll
> remain a loyal linux-audio-user subscriber!)

Well, hello, hello! ;-)
You just found a fellow gentoo user starting up with music on linux. There is
an ongoing thread in the gentoo forums ("Gentoo musicians" in the Gentoo Chat
forum) where we are figuring out some things and getting to know who is who.
I saw earlier today another post in the multimedia forum regarding Ardour.
Currently I am installing music software by hand on its own separate /opt
dir, to have more control (and not depend on when .ebuilds are released) so I
don't know of any specific troubles on the ebuild versions. So if you plan on
that list, drop a few lines there and get more people on it.

KiTaSuMbA