Re: [linux-audio-user] clicks and pops

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] clicks and pops
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Wed Nov 20 2002 - 05:08:56 EET

Brian Redfern <bredfern_AT_calarts.edu> writes:

> Sound intertesting, I'm using an Audiophile 24/96 card, not sure if its an
> issue with the ice driver, but it sounds like the real culprit is Redhat
> 8.0's gnome, while its nice to have easy cut and paste I think I may have
> a better time getting things to work with windowmaker rather than using
> gnome or kde. Redhat tries to force you into using one or the other, I'm
> going to have to download Dmudi more than likely, and I'll let people know
> how that goes. Its good to know that its not a hardware issue, though.

Mark's suggestion, dumping GNOME, is probably the easiest approach.

But, if you really want to follow the Red Hat Way, it may be possible
to tame the noisier parts of GNOME. The main culprit appears to be
the GNOME desktop, which periodically scans the CD-ROM to see if a CD
has been inserted. Turning this off may help quite a bit.

Unfortunately, I don't have any specific directions handy.

If you haven't already seen it, take a careful look at the Linux Audio
Users Low-Latency HOWTO:

  http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/Low_latency-Mini-HOWTO.php3

Tuning Linux PC hardware and software for low-latency audio is a bit
of a black art. But, there's a good deal of experience on this list
and some helpful people, so don't give up. Keep us posted on what you
learn so others can benefit from it, too.

--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA