Re: [linux-audio-user] Koan/Generative music for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Koan/Generative music for Linux
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 02:48:34 EET

Gavin Stevens wrote:

> One other suggestion would be to try the Atari emulator XSteem. I
> understand that the latest version of XSteem has MIDI support. Sadly, I
> haven't had time to try it on my Linux box yet & have stuck with the
> Windows version "Steem".
>
> If you could get XSteem working, it would open up a whole universe of
> generative apps that were originally written for Atari ST.
> http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/index.htm
> is the Steem site.

Yes, XSteem does indeed support MIDI. It works pretty well, too, though
the timing can be a bit unsteady. I've run the Atari version of M,
Tunesmith, and some other cool apps under XSteem, and I must say it's
impressive.

The CLOANTO Amiga environment for UAE is similarly promising. I've also
run some interesting "algorithmic composition" software under DOSemu
(RAVEL, Mbox, M/pc [though this is currently broken for me]). Russ
Kozerski's Drummer runs well under DOSemu but I've been unable to run
his more ambitious Sound Globs. But that's why I keep an ancient Pentium
machine alive and running MS-DOS... ;)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org