Re: [linux-audio-user] Midiman Delta 410

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Midiman Delta 410
From: Reiner Klenk (pdq808_AT_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 20:17:17 EET

On 2 Dec 2002, nick wrote:

> uh-oh, i was planning to buy this card real soon and start some serious
> audio stuff. afaik it should work since it uses the envy24 chipset. what
> apps arent working?

Currently, it is not working with any app because the problem is the
driver. The envy24 chip is only a part of the card. DAC/ADC and SPDIF
transceiver have to be added and that's were the cards are different and
why the driver has to be adapted for each card. This is not a huge problem
because the data sheets of the chips are available (unlike emu10k for
example). But even then you have to figure out how the envy24 is talking
to the other two chips. It needs to wiggle bits of his parallel port to
emulate a three-wire serial interface, strange design if you ask me. The
last time I did this was when I hooked up a real tty to my first
microprocessor. So there are some details you need to know for a working
driver. As far as I understood Midiman has not forwarded this information
to the alsa developers so far.

The good news is that we have figured out some of these details by tracing
the connections on the circuit board. I made three tiny changes in the
driver and the codec is now properly initialized, the distortion is gone
(see my posts on alsa-devel). However, all I tested so far is stereo
playback, so I wouldn't rely on this card for any serious work right now.

Regards,
Reiner