Re: [linux-audio-user] Playback slow from burned CD's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Playback slow from burned CD's
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 22:28:32 EET

patrick reardon wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> i don't know if this is the right forum for my question, but here goes.
>
> i'm running on Intel PIII with kernel 2.4.18, ALSA, and a Hammerfall 9632 card. CD
> quality WAV files recorded with ALSA from live performances play back with no problem via
> "aplay".
>
> a Yamaha CRW8424S scsi burner was recently installed and i burned the WAV files to CD with
> both "cdrecord" and "cdrdao". data is actually transferred but when i play the CD's with
> a CD player, the tunes are too slow and too low by about a minor third.
>
> i tried burning at various speeds from 1x to 8x, but always the same problem. have also
> tried a variety of other options to "cdrecord," like using a really big buffer, etc. the
> commands "file" and "aplay" give the following information:
>
> --------snip-----------
> $ file blues1.wav
> blues1.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz
>
> $ aplay blues1.wav
> Playing WAVE 'blues1.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> --------snip-----------
>
> i wrote to Jorg Schilling who developed "cdrecord", but he only said i need to use 44100
> Hz data and that if ALSA wrote incorrect headers, i should write the ALSA group instead.
> i doubt it's a problem with ALSA.
>
> at any rate, i'm out of ideas. has anyone experienced a similar problem? any pointers
> would be greatly appreciated.

He always says things like that. The truth is that he is usually right
though. He is extreemely well versed in the details of cdburning and
also has a serious bone to pick with the Linux community so doesn't give
  extremely positive feedback in regards to Linux.

It *could* be cdrecord and cdrao are not reading the headers correctly
too ;P

What version of alsa are you using? You may need to update to a more
recent version. If that doesn't work you should contact alsa-devel with
a link to the files if possible and let them see. If you want to save
those other files you could try converting them with sox or reading them
in a wave editor then saving over a new version using that app to make
the correct header. Snd is probably the most reliable in that regard but
maybe something like the gnome wave cleaner could do it too.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman