Re: [linux-audio-user] EMagic EMI 2|6, DJ

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] EMagic EMI 2|6, DJ
From: Art Moore (g3art_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 17:08:17 EET

Ok Let me explain a little about debian:

There are three different division in debian: stable
(woody), testing(sarge), and unstable(sid). There is a
file in /etc/apt called sources.list. This file
contains all of the sources from which you can
download programs/applications. Normally running out
of stable is the best bet. Applications are most often
the most stable, and things work really well. But the
way stable works is it takes a long time for new
software to get into stable. So we add sources for
testing or unstable to our sources.list, run the
command: apt-get update, and then we can access a lot
of new software that has been packaged for Debian, but
hasn't made it's way into stable. Now don't get too
scared, I've been running out of unstable for a while
now and haven't seen very many problems. If your using
a lot of music apps, it's almost necessary to run out
of unstable.

so how do you run out of unstable? Open
/etc/apt/sources.list in your favorite text editor (I
prefer vi, but you can use gedit, or kate, or some
other graphical editor). The lines you see are grouped
in 4. Copy one of those groups, paste it below and
change all of the "stable" to "unstable". run "apt-get
update" from a terminal. Now when you run 'apt-get
install terminatorX' it should download all of the
necessary packages and install them all for you. You
may want to upgrade gnome too. In that case run:
'apt-get install gnome gnome-extras terminatorX'.

The nice thing about debian, is that it is an easy way
out of dependency hell. In compiling from source
(which eventually you'll do a lot of) you can resolve
dependencies with a simple apt-get, and then get on
with your life. Debian rocks!

Art