Re: [linux-audio-user] So confused, need some good documents about sound in linux!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] So confused, need some good documents about sound in linux!
From: Eric Robert (rico.robert_AT_libertysurf.fr)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 16:02:54 EET

Le Jeudi 5 Décembre 2002 10:22, Emiliano Grilli a écrit :
> mercoledì, 04 dicembre 2002 alle 18:31:50, Eric Robert ha scritto:
> > I want to develop some kind of band-in-a-box-like stuff with TSE3
> > The app won't need a midi card (i want to use a softsynth)
>
> Hi, IIRC the DOS version of band-in-a-box can run in dosemu, and the
> windows version can run in wine. There is no MIDI out, but you can save
> a midi file for further editing; however, it would be great to have a
> native band-in-a-box-like program for linux, so you have all my
> appreciation for such a thing.

I hope i'll be able of such a thing, it should be smaller though (less
features as there are already good apps for things like editing)
I want to use the TSE3 library and continue Florian Schmidt's work
on rythmaidgui...
The first thing for me is to have a real global vision of how sound works on
linux + the latency pb.

> > Has anybody written somewhere a real digest i could use as good starting
> > point?
>
> I've bought (in the library) the italian version of Dave's book, and from
> the user perspective it is very well suited and well written: a must for
> every linux-audio-newbie like me, but is centered more on apps rather than
> on drivers and developer information.
> For that I guess the best source are the ALSA website and related
> mailing lists.

The frenh version will come out later this summer, i think i'll wait a bit,
digging around in ALSA website for docs as you suggest!
> Best regards,
Idem