Re: [linux-audio-user] Gentoo users?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Gentoo users?
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 18:58:23 EET

Daniel James wrote:
>>Just wondering if you know the project leader, head developer... of
>>Ardour has specifically requested that only daily updated cvs builds be
>>made until an official release.
>

> I don't think that's quite what Paul said. I think he said that *he* wasn't
> making tarballs or RPM's available, not that other people shouldn't

You have confused my words. What is different? He has said he is ok with
supporting Tarballs that are updated daily. He has also made it very
clear that he is not happy with ditros packaging the product at this
point in time.

> Ultimately as Ardour is free software, I suppose if third parties want to
> support non-CVS versions of the program, that would be up to those third
> parties to do it - and not whine to Paul if it's broken...

That wouldn't be a problem if Paul hadn't already asked numerous high
profile distributors not to make them available yet. Surely it's not a
wise idea to go against the wishes of the lead developers of a project
when you know that the application will be a very high profile download
for a certain sector of your user base.

Getting a packaged system built is not necessarily the easiest way to do
things so forcing the issue now when there are so many changes still
being made is very dangerous territory.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman