Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions
From: matthew yee-king (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 16:00:17 EET

> > a) Time signature
> > b) Tempo
> > c) Key (If applicable. Drum loops, for example, would not need
> > this.) d) Creator's name
> > e) Instrument(s) (This one is tricky, since there are so many
> > instruments in the world. It would need to be a free-text field,
> > which means misspellings could be a problem. Possible solutions?)

you could use the same categories for instruments that you have in your
samples section...

> > f) Loop or one-shot (Not everything meant for a loop-based
> > composition program need be an actual loop. Drum fills and cymbal
> > hits come immediately to mind.)

I think that might be confusing - maybe one shot samples could go into
the samples section? drum fills will generally loop - many great drum
tracks have been programmed entirely from drum fills :) . What i'm
trying to say is that its a fine line between a drum fill and a drum
beat, so fills could go in loops.

> > g) Style (This one creates some issues, due to how subjective it can
> > be.)
> > h) Comments (A free text field the creator of the loop can use to
> > attach whatever additional info they feel it needs.)
> > i) A million other things I can't think of at the moment. :)

> > One problem that needs to be solved is how to attach these kinds of
> > metadata to a loop.

Maybe the database could store a checksum of the file and link the
metadata to this. This could work in a similar way to the cddb - you
could look up the data for your file. I can help with the database if
you want ...

- matthew