Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions
From: Darren Landrum (consul_AT_studioconsul.net)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 15:45:27 EET

On Friday, December 20, 2002, at 03:06 AM, Conrad Parker wrote:

> info on generic metadata for audio formats is at:
>
> http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/sounds/textual_data.txt

Thank you. That's some useful information.

> It would be possible to store all this information in the comments
> packet of Ogg Vorbis or Ogg FLAC encoded loops; the vorbiscomment spec
> is open enough to allow this. Of course much of this information can
> also be stored in WAV chunks, as is done for ACID.

I hadn't thought too much about what format the loops/sample sets would
be stored as yet, but Ogg FLAC sounds like a good way to go. It would
be lossless, and still give good compression. Otherwise, I suppose some
folks would prefer to post their work as Ogg Vorbis. This could be
arranged as well.

Something else I've been thinking about is a low-quality "preview" that
can work inside a browser, so folks can listen to the contents of a
loop before they download. This would be another good reason for a
dedicated client, since the preview function could be built-in. The
hard part would be generating the preview to begin with. Could this be
a server-side function (i.e., when you upload the file, it makes the
preview file as a 24kbps Ogg or somesuch)? Any thoughts?

Regards,
Darren Landrum