RE: [linux-audio-user] new computer woes

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] new computer woes
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 17:37:40 EET

Anthony,
   Hi. I think there haven't been that many dual-processor users yet. Paul
and Jesse are, and probably a few more. We need more trailblazers, I guess!
;-)

   First, the IRQ stuff on the Audio Quality HOWTO really does not apply at
all the dual processor. I'm willing to try and help in that area, but it
will be at an arms length since I don't have a dual processor machine. I did
collect a bit of info on SMP IRQs, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me
yet. Maybe we can make some sense of it together. Post back some info about
the machine and IRQs.

   There will of course be all sorts of questions about what disk drives,
what speeds, etc. as well as what drive format. We'll just have to dig in.

   There was a post a few months ago, on the Jack or Ardour lists I think,
about someone having some distortion and xruns, and then solving the problem
by compiling the graphics adapter driver himself. I think that was an nVidia
item, but I don't remember. Check back in September I think.

   Sorry I don't have any great answers. Just ideas.

Cheers,
Mark