RE: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Fri Dec 20 2002 - 17:29:09 EET

Darren,
   I'm glad to see someone interested in taking up this area of operation.
The use of prerecorded sounds, whether one-shots or loops will, I think, be
of a lot of value. I'm also glad to see that you're getting lots of

   I've read through the other responses that have come in so far. Let me
add a couple of things that I don't think have been covered yet.

1) There are lots of places on the web today that offer samples and loops
for sale. You might want to look at some of them just to see how they
present their offerings. Your #2 below reminds me a lot of WizooSounds.
(http://www.wizoosounds.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/wizoosounds) Note the menus
on the left side of the page. You can buy for GigaSampler, Halion, etc. or
just loop libraries, based on what you're looking for. Yu can play small
bits of the sounds. I've purchased stuff here and been pretty happy with
their service. Obviously we're not talking about a Linux for-sale site in
your case, but they have a pretty good presentation model, I think. I can
provide you with other sites if you need them. A less sophisticated model
might be something like the free site Worra's Place (www.worrasplace.com)
Worra offers nice (and free!) gig files for the GigaSampler and GigaStudio
communities. The web site offers very little in terms of understanding the
sound before you download it.

2) In my experience in Acid, the hard part is not finding 'Drum loops at the
right tempo', but rather finding the right loops that can go together a make
a natural sounding piece of music. Taking drums as an example, if I'm
working at 142BPM, it's not difficult to find loops that are drums at
142BPM. What's difficult is figuring out how to use them. Which loops are
main rhythms? Which loops are fills? Which loops are breaks? Which loops are
best for intros or endings? When you start listening to these loops, do the
kick patterns, or the beat the snare is used on, actually stay consistent
from loop to loop and work together?

   It's very easy to become a loop packrat, but then not be able to figure
out where the right loop is to actually do the music.

   Along these lines I long for an app that can take rhythm loops and
somehow arrange them, under my guidance, into a song. The more you work with
loops, the more you'll understand this problem. (If you don't already.) I
was pretty attracted (in concept anyway) to a rhythm generator in the Jazz
sequencer. In that tool you could tell it you wanted a kick on 2 and 4, and
how to build fills and what not, but I get to bogged down in programming and
don't do music when I use it. Too bad.

   This idea is attractive to me though. Can you do something new in terms
of how loops are categorized? Can you understand where the kick is? Where
the snare is? Can you then 'suggest' loops that might work together for
preview? This is where I think the next step in using this stuff has got to
go.

3) As for loop storage format, something standard and natively usable in
whatever app is preferable. Wave probably works for the most apps today, but
anything that's common should suffice.

4) Last, it's really important that the library doesn't get corrupted with
stuff that shouldn't be there. Worra has had problems with people submitting
for-sale gig files and saying they were free and open. I could supply you
with lots of loops that I've purchased and corrupt your library. This might
also put you at risk of some liability or suit. I wouldn't want to see that.

   Anyway, I'll be here to talk about is and use it as you develop your
ideas. Good luck!

Cheers,
Mark