Re: [linux-audio-user] soft synth manager gui

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] soft synth manager gui
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Sat Dec 21 2002 - 16:34:37 EET

On Friday 20 December 2002 18:18, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> The thing that was discussed on lad recently was ladcca by Bob Ham.
> There's some stuff about it at http://pkl.net/~node/ladcca.html.
> It is designed to do what you're asking I think, but of course it
> requires the client programs to be aware of it, so it'll be some
> time before it becomes a tool you can use.

Interesting. Now I see it again I realise I had actually noticed
something about it before, but had never waded through all the
introductory exposition to find out what it could actually do for me.

It does look like it addresses the same sort of problem, yes. I had
imagined something a little different, in that this looks like it's
mostly designed to work behind-the-scenes to do something apparently
magical that simply keeps the session setup going exactly as the user
last left it, whereas I had envisaged a GUI app in which the user is
explicitly shown their configuration and explicitly starts and stops
things and nothing ever happens without the user's (or perhaps a MIDI
message's) instruction. I was also envisaging that it would do very
little behind the scenes except start and stop processes. The LADCCA
(nasty acronym) approach looks like overkill in this context, but
perhaps that's ultimately no bad thing.

Chris