Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The Open Loop Library, a few questions
From: Darren Landrum (consul_AT_studioconsul.net)
Date: Mon Dec 23 2002 - 00:39:58 EET

Yes, it is regrettable. It is regrettable that there are people out
there that are not to be trusted. It is regrettable that many of those
self-same people would stoop to such actions as uploading a loop or a
sample set that they have no rights to *because* they want to damage
such open initiatives.

I very highly doubt that anyone I've talked to on this list would ever
be the cause of such problems.

And yet, there are people out there who are malicious because they like
to cause trouble, or sometimes even because someone is paying them.
Then all it takes is a pack of attack lawyers. It's happened before,
and it can happen to us.

I do not want to implement any DRM measures. I simply want to catch
people trying to do such things as I described above and be able to
deal with them, quietly if possible.

Personally, I think a web of trust is the best way to go. If we make
accounts difficult to get, and to spoof, then users uploading illegal
materials will (hopefully, anyway) leave behind an audit trail that can
lead us to them.

Remember, we aren't just talking about audio loops and samples, here.
You could gzip up some illicit jpegs featuring some activities that
would make your stomach turn, not to mention attract the authorities to
the ones running the system. Unfortunately, file shares like this one
are ripe for that kind of abuse if proper steps aren't taken. (As a
side note, we had already figured out a way to deal with this kind of
activity, but I leave it here as an example.)

Sorry if I rambled on my soapbox a little too long, but this is a sore
point of mine. You just can't automatically trust everyone. You need
some checks and balances in the system.

Regards,
Darren Landrum