Re: [linux-audio-user] Compilers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Compilers
From: jordan muscott (jordan_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 12:39:42 EET

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 21:42:41 -0600
Levi Burton <ldb_AT_scoundrelz.net> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I was curious what compiler versions people have had the best luck
>with. I am currently using: gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux
>7.3 2.96-113)
>
>I am considering upgrading via RPM to what appears to be 3.2
>(gcc-3.2-7.i386.rpm). Good idea? Bad Idea?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Levi

Upgrading full stop can be bad idea, because C++ programs compiled with
gcc 3.2 won't link against C++ libraries compilied with gcc 2.9x . If
you want to install 3.2, you'll need to keep 2.9x around as well to use
in these situations, or else you'd have to recompile loads of the
libraries already on your system.

Regards, Jordan.