Re: [linux-audio-user] A level meter to test

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A level meter to test
From: Laurent Georget (lgeorget3_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 23:19:23 EET

Guy Daniel CLOTILDE wrote:

> But is there a way or a plan to make it work the same way as vumeter (based on esd). I mean a stand-alone app, simply listening to audio input or output?

Well , no, as an alsa plugin , it needs the audio device to be opened by
another program.
(using jack+meterbridge would do what you want )

  replacing nrecord with arecord+ameter in my script break the pipe and
hang up the sound device. First I can't close the ameter window (with
icewm as a wm) and I must do a ctrl+C in the aterm invoking ameter
(arecord -D ameter | lame -r -m m something.mp3). I can't launch it a
second time, or try a "aplay something.wav", it complains that the
snd_pcm_open failed.
> Even if I restart alsasound, no way... I have to reboot to make the sound work as usual!

:(( !
Could you send me the script you are using ,
I'll try to reproduce this problem .

Thanks !

Laurent