Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundless ALSA Newbie

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundless ALSA Newbie
From: Sakari Aaltonen (sakari_AT_aplac.hut.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 20:33:29 EET

> try "alsamixer" which should be part of alsa-utils. Or you can try
> "amixer", more powerfull but a bit more complicated.
>
> drh_AT_niptron.com

Oh - my mistake was to download only the alsa-driver package.
I didn't realize alsa-lib and alsa-utils, too, were needed.

OK, I downloaded and installed them. But...

First, I tried DVD and TV. Well, it seems 'xine' needs an
audio plugin for alsa. It now only has plugins called 'oss'
and 'esd.' No sound.

Then I tried 'alsamixer'. It does show the correct title
   VIA 8233A/C
   Avance Logic ALC650 rev 0
and a collection of bars. The meaning of many of them is unclear
to me, but I tried to up the volumes on most. Unfortunately, when
I tried to play a MIDI file with 'aplay', no sound resulted. I
also downloaded and tried the old 'playmidi', but it doesn't
find '/dev/sequencer'.

Sakari Aaltonen