Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] swh-plugins 0.3.4

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] swh-plugins 0.3.4
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 16:55:48 EET

> > you could have the words 'hard' and 'soft' at either end of the scrollbar
> > to give the DSP-challenged an idea of which way to slide it!
>
> Good point, the docs should at least tell you which is hard and which is
> soft, but I also like having the real numbers myself.

I don't mean that the controls should be dumbed down - the numerical value and
units should definitely be there for the advanced users. But I think for the
average musician, computers of any kind are intimidating enough already.

Ideally, an effect should be as easy to understand and use as a guitar pedal
or rack unit with three or four knobs on. Just labels like 'more' and 'less'
could make all the difference.

A related request - could the names of the SC series be changed to Simple
Compressor 1, 2, 3 etc for the benefit of users with drop-down LADSPA menus?
If you hadn't told me that SC was a compressor I might never have found it...

Cheers

Daniel