Re: [linux-audio-user] seeking a software sampler for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] seeking a software sampler for Linux
From: Emiliano Grilli (emillo@libero.it)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 11:40:50 EET

> Hello to all,
>
> I´m searching for some kind of a HALion replacement on Linux. Just a
> simple engine that responses to MIDI Note on/off and Main Volume per
> channel, and that can be triggered using some sequencer (as MUSE or
> Rosegarden).
>
> Any hint would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Florian Berger, Leipzig, Germany

  The two main choices that I'm aware of are:

          * iiwusynth (http://www.hanappe.org/iiwusynth.html)
  a soundfont-enabled sampler that is already included in MusE (click on
  config-->Soft Synhtesizer, add an istance; click on Config-->Midi
  ports, select the iiwu port and then click on "GUI": this brings up a
  window in which you can choose a soundfont)

        * timidity (http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/),
  that can be started in ALSA server mode (of course you must have ALSA
  drivers, not OSS) like this: `timidity -iA -B2,8`.
  You can load soundfonts by specifying them in the timidity.cfg
  file (on my system is /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg) simply adding
  the line

   soundfont /path/to_my/soundfont.sf2

  and comment out anything else.

  You can find a huge amount of soundfonts on www.hammersound.net or you