Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers

Subject: Re: [Just Talk] Re: [linux-audio-user] Why we need graphic designers
From: Christian Henz (chrhenz@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 17:29:11 EET

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 02:06:20PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:50:40 +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > The knob in question was rendered in several frames such that it could
> > turn a complete revolution, which unfortunately takes lots of memory :(
> > so I'm not so sure these types of graphics are really usable...
>
> They are. I have a 40ish step photographed (tripod + careful lighting)
> knob that I'm using for some UI code and it is perfectly reasonably
> efficient. Post processing the photos was very tedious though, and I think
> blender would give better results if I had the skills or time to use it.
>

> Something I've been thinking of recently is palming off the rendering to
> OpenGL, modern cards have large texture memories so they can hold most of
> the graphics on the card, and not need to bother the main RAM.

On top of that, you'd also have rotation and scaling with very little CPU
overhead so you don't even have to bother providing several frames of your
knobs, while getting higher precision.

Also one has things like QGLWidget in QT and I'm sure there are similar
constructs in the other major gui-toolkits.

Maybe one could start a project to create a library of 'standard' widgets
(knobs, faders, waveform viewers etc.) for the different toolkits, they
could be easily customised by providing different textures...

The only problem I see is that some video cards still don't have 3D
accelerated drivers...

Christian Henz